Happy Friday everyone! It might be the dog days of summer but we have some cool news to share.
1. Ruby Rose is super emotional about playing Batwoman and it’s pretty sweet. The out model/actor stopped by the The Tonight Show with. Jimmy Fallon where she talked about the impact of getting to play the Batwoman character and how as a young person she never felt seen on TV and film. As an adult, she vowed to change that for others.
2. Out lesbian showrunner and creator Ilene Chaiken lands a deal with ABC for a new drama. L Word creator Chaiken has been busy these last few years, first with her stint as the Empire showrunner and executive producing The Handmaid’s Tale. After a bidding war, Chaiken and Eva Longoria‘s The Ambassador will land on ABC. The show is an adaptation of the popular Spanish series, The Embassy.
3. A record number of LGBTQ candidates are running for office this year. According to the Victory Fund, and organization that empowers and supports LGBTQ candidates, 2018 is a record year for LGBTQ candidates in the US. It’s almost like something is inspiring so many people to take action. At the moment, more than 400 LGBTQ candidates have tossed their hats into the ring.
4. Speaking of LGBTQ candidates, former MMA fighter and out lesbian candidate Sharice Davids is poised to make history. Candidate Davids won her primary for a seat in the Kansas house of representatives, and if she wins the election against her Republican opponent, will be the first lesbian Native American Congresswoman.
5. Cher is coming out with an ABBA cover album. So technically this is gay-adjacent, but Cher is an icon and ally for the LGBTQ community (and who doesn’t love ABBA). Dancing Queen will be released on September 28th, and will include hits like “SOS” “Waterloo” and of course, “Mamma Mia.”