Spring is on the wing, no matter what that groundhog said. Here are 5 good and gay things to start your weekend off right.
1. The Charmed reboot has its Mel. Actress Melonie Diaz, who queer fans may recognize from her role in Itty Bitty Titty Committee, has scored a lead in the CW’s Charmed reboot. She’s be playing one of the sisters, Mel, who is an out lesbian (and witch) and has a girlfriend.
2. Everything Sucks premieres and is a dose of nostalgia wrapped in real-life. The new Netflix series about a group of AV Club and Drama kids in the mid-90s gets a lot right about the time period, in particular, young lesbian Kate’s coming of age. Twitter has been a-buzz with talk of the show, including those who grew up in the 90s (like yours truly) and how on point it is when it comes to dealing with sexuality, growing up, and of course, Tori Amos.
3. Emma Gonzalez is here to change the world. A group of students from Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, FL have emerged as champions for gun and school safety. Perhaps most visible is senior Emma Gonzalez, who gave an impassioned speech last week at a rally and has continued to impress with her bravery and determination. She’s appeared on TV numerous times since then including CNN’s recent town hall to discuss gun policy. Gonzales, who is openly bisexual, is the President of Stoneman’s Gay-Straight Alliance.
4. Season 2 of LA Webseries is here! After years apart, Landon and Avery meet again. This sweet series stars Emma Maddock and Alexandra Swarens, and after a first season that flew a bit under the radar at first, Season 2 is already turning heads a week into its run.
5. Batgirl movie: Whedon out, a woman director in? So technically this isn’t totally gay, but now that Joss Whedon has left Batgirl, the scoop is that the film will be looking for a female director to replace him. How about out directors Dee Rees, Angela Robinson, or Desiree Akhavan, Hollywood?!