Happy Friday. Grab a mug of hot chocolate and get your good and gay on.
1. Hayley Kiyoko rocks the Today show. 20Gayteen has been very good to Hayley Kiyoko. She’s sold out tours, gotten millions of hits on Youtube, and just took home Billboard’s Rising Star award. This week Kiyoko was featured on the Today Show and interviewed by Maria Shriver. The interview was frank but also fun and didn’t shy away from Kiyoko’s queerness or why it’s important for her to be open and create art about it.
2. Ellen Page to star in a lesbian version of Casablanca. Ever wonderdered what Ellen Page would sound like as the grizzled and love-lorn Rick from Casablanca? Well, lucky attendees of the reimagined reading at the Ace Theater in LA will soon find out. Page will be joined by Kiersey Clemons as Ilsa, and Olivia Wilde as Ilsa’s spouse Victor. The show is 12/10 and you can get tickets here. Proceed benefit the Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice.
3. Janelle Monae and Brandie Carlile score Album of the Year Grammy nominations. Monae’s Dirty Computer and Carlile’s By the Way, I Forgive You have both been honored with Grammy nods this year, and are also joined by mega-ally Kasey Musgraves for her album Golden Hour.
4. LGBTQ roles and films show up big time in the Golden Globe nominations. The Golden Globe film nominations are loaded with acting nods to stars of films like The Favourite, Can You Ever Forgive Me, Boy Erased and Bohemian Rhapsody. All the leads of The Favourite, Rachel Weisz, Olivia Coleman and Emma Stone, have been nominated, and it will prove to be a Golden Globes to watch this year.
5. Ellen DeGeneres is returning to standup for the first time in 15 years. You can’t blame Ellen for taking some time away from stand-up. She’s kind of been building an empire these last few years. She is back however, with a brand new Netflix special called, Relatable. You won’t have to wait long much longer, either. Relatable premieres on December 18th.