1. Gays in spaaaaaaace. We just got word this week that cartoonist Hannah Templer (GLOW, JEM and the Holograms) will be debuting her epic feminist space opera comic, Cosmoknights, this March. Set in a neo-medieval/futuristic world, lead character Pan is called upon to join the fight against the patriarchy. The webcomic will debut this March, with a graphic novel coming out in November.
2. A new bill in Ireland would allow both same-sex parents to be listed on birth certificates. A new parental rights bill, the Civil Registration Bill 2019, will be brought before the Houses of the Oireachtas this spring, and if passed, will be a major step for gay and lesbian parents in the country.
3. New York State to officially ban conversion therapy. New York soon will become the 15th state to ban the harmful practice of conversion therapy. The bill, which was passed by the The New York State Legislature, just needs Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s signature, which is expected to happen any day now.
— Reductress (@Reductress) January 17, 2019
4. Satire site Reductress pokes a little fun at the fervor over The Favourite. It’s funny because it’s true. Who hasn’t heard this?
5. A National LGBTQ Center for the Arts to open in San Francisco. Thanks to the San Francisco Gay Men’s Chorus, the LGBTQ community will have a first of its kind arts center in the Bay area. The renowned chorus purchased a building in the city for over 9 million dollars and has plans to open it as a performance and rehearsal space for LGBTQ artists and activists from around the world. That’s something to sing about.