Hey, guess what? This week was pretty ok! Are you ready for some good and gay things?
1. Starbucks is getting merry and gay for the holidays. PSL…does it really mean Pumpkin Spice Lesbian? As Starbucks unveiled their holiday cups this year, their promo video featured a sweet lady couple leaning in to share a kiss, and probably a slice gingerbread pound cake.
2. Seattle has a lesbian mayor! This week’s elections were pretty awesome, and included many women of color and LGBTQ folks scoring seats across the country. Among those wins, Seattle welcomed former US Attorney Jenny Durkan as its new mayor. Not only is she the first woman mayor in nearly a hundred years in Seattle, she’s also the first lesbian in the office. Here she is celebrating her victory. (via Facebook)
3. Speaking of politics, Palm Springs got super queer this week: With the election of Lisa Middleton and Christy Holstege this week, the entire Palm Springs City Council is openly LGBTQ. I want to go to there.
4. Tegan and Sara team up with a fan artist for a new video for The Con X: Covers: If you’re a T&S fan then you’re probably already listening your way through The Con X: Covers, a tribute to the twins beloved album which came out ten years ago. In “Nineteen” Paramore singer Hayley Williams turns the heartbreaker into a slow burn of a song. Artist Kristine Thune’s fan videos from ten years ago, have been recut and redone to match the tone of Williams’ cover and the result is remarkable.
5. Lena Waithe, Billy Jean King, Angela Robinson and more make the Out 100 list: Actress and writer Lena Waithe was named Artist of the Year in Out Magazine’s Out 100 list, and quite a few lesbian, bi and queer women were also honored. Among them, actress Shannon Purser (Stranger Things), Broadway star Jenn Colella, and director Angela Robinson.